General Atomics OTB Satellite Ready for Launch

General Atomics' OTB satellite is ready for launch following successful system and preflight testing. Photo Credit: GA-EMS

General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) has completed full system and “ready for launch” pre-flight testing of its Orbital Test Bed (OTB) satellite. OTB will launch as part of the U.S. Air Force’s Space Technology Program (STP-2) flight on the SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket. The OTB hosts multiple payloads on a single platform for on-orbit technology demonstration.

Among the hosted payloads on OTB is NASA’s Space Technology Mission Directorate’s Deep Space Atomic Clock, designed and built at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which supports deep space navigation and exploration.

GA-EMS’ Low-Earth Orbit (LEO) OTB is a versatile, modular platform designed for the simultaneous launch of multiple demonstration payloads. Hosting multiple payloads on a single satellite eliminates the need for customers to bear the costly burden of a dedicated platform and launch.

“As the small satellite industry grows, the OTB hosted payload platform can increase the number of flight opportunities, reduce the cost to access space, and provide a more adaptable approach to managing the integration, launch, and on-orbit operations to support commercial, civil, educational, and military payloads,” said Nick Bucci, vice president of missile defense and space at GA-EMS.

 

Aerospace Report Examines Defense and Space Growth in FY ‘27 Budget Request 

Via Satellite illustration

A new report from The Aerospace Corporation examining defense and space growth in the White House’s fiscal year 2027 budget request found that more than 75% of the increase is concentrated in classified activities and missile warning, moving-target-indication, and command and control investments.

The report released Monday looks at the $59.2 billion the White House requested for the U.S. Space Force in its fiscal year 2027 budget request, which is more than double the Space Force’s 2026 appropriations of $26.1 billion. The White House has also proposed $12.1 billion for the Space Force in the fiscal year 2027 reconciliation bill. 

Sam Wilson, director of Strategy and National Security for Aerospace’s Center for Space Policy and Strategy, authored the report. 

The Aerospace analysis found that classified spending would make up about 30% of the growth, while moving-target-indication, command and control (C2), and space-based missile warning programs would account for more than 45% of the growth.

Interestingly, Wilson noted that both the Space-Based Air-Moving Target Indication and Space Data Network programs were moved out of the Golden Dome funding bucket and labeled as “Space Superiority” initiatives. “The transition of the programs from Golden Dome to ‘Space Superiority’ reveals some of the decoupling between the Space Force and Golden Dome spending,” Wilson said. 

Space-Based Air Moving Target Indicator (SB-AMTI) is the largest unclassified program in the Space Force FY 2027 budget at $7.9 billion, followed by Space Data Network at $4.5 billion, the report notes. 

The Space Force recently awarded SpaceX a $4.2 billion contract for SB-AMTI and a $2.3 billion contract for the SDN Backbone. It has also awarded $615 million in SB-AMTI contracts to Rocket Lab, STR LLC and an unnamed vendor, as well as $60 million in SDN awards to five companies last week

Looking at Golden Dome funding, the report notes that the proposed reconciliation funding also includes $17.1 billion for the Golden Dome funding account, including $4.5 billion for “Space Programs,” which is separate from the overall Space Force request. According to the budget, that money could support “developing and deploying a proliferated layer of space-based interceptors.”

Last week, head of the Golden Dome program Gen. Mike Guetlein warned that if Congress does not pass another reconciliation bill with funding for the homeland missile defense shield, the Golden Dome program will be frozen and largely cannot move forward. Guetlein spoke during the annual Space and Missile Defense Symposium, which Defense Daily covered

Other areas of increased funding are national security launch and large increases in funding for resilient missile warning and tracking in both Low-Earth Orbit (LEO) and Medium-Earth Orbit (MEO), as well as missile warning ground architecture upgrades. 

The report notes that neither reconciliation bill or an appropriations act have passed, which leaves the Space Force’s actual 2027 budget “highly uncertain.” This could mean the Space Force continues with 2026 base appropriations or appropriations plus reconciliation funding, which would amount to $32 billion. 

“These concerns notwithstanding, with a base request of $59.2 billion and proposed reconciliation funding of $12.1 billion, the Space Force has the highest proposed budget increase for any military service in 75 years,” Wilson wrote, noting there seems to be congressional interest for the increase.