Singtel, Chunghwa Telecom Form Satellite Joint Venture

By | September 19, 2008 | Satellite News Feed, Telecom

[Satellite Today 09-19-08] Singapore Telecommunications Ltd. (SingTel), said Sept. 18 that it had formed a joint venture with Chunghwa Telecom to build the ST-2 satellite. 
    This satellite is targeted to be delivered in 2010 and will replace the ST-1 satellite, which will be retired in 2011. SingTel will have about 62 percent share in the joint venture, with Chunghwa Telecom owning the remaining 38 percent.
    “The ST-2 satellite will offer significantly greater capacity than ST-1 and wider coverage to also include emerging markets such as the Middle East,” Bill Chang, SingTel’s executive vice president for business, said in a statement. “We are well placed to meet the strong demand for fixed and mobile satellite services, including our innovative IP-based solutions, which are transforming the way our customers do business.  Even before its launch, about two-thirds of ST-2’s capacity has been pre-booked.” 

Live chat by BoldChat